Thursday, April 29, 2010

Making a mess of wool



One of my new passions is felting. My felting skills are in the very beginning. Some time ago my opinion about felting was that it is not for me because it means doing weird actions for making a mess. I do not like mess - well, there actually IS mess in my kitchen - but there MUST be strict order when creating textile. But somehow I have changed my mind - when I realized that felting is much more flexible for making art while knitting and crocheting are more "mathematical" and determined. After 3 lessons I have to deduce that I have not enough 2 main qualities needed for felting - feelings and muscle. Logics doesn't help here at all! So it's time for me to go out from that "box" which is called "logics". You just have to feel how long and how hard to act on that soggy piece of wool - and always to be ready for a surprise at the final. When knitting or crocheting you count stiches and make some calculations and can follow the quality all the time. When felting you just hope that the result will not be worse as you expect.
Well, you can see my first feltings (I didn't manage without help of the teacher):
Flower:

Slippers which are not technically perfect however fit well:

This one HAD to be upside, lol (actually it is even good that it turned out to be downside for accident because it is rather ugly):

4 comments:

  1. I really like those slippers ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only "dipped a toe" into felting, so to speak. Those are some amazing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I made a pair of felted slippers once a looong time ago (when I was a fairly new knitter), and they took me so long to get right that I never tried again, haha. I think it's time for me to give it a 2nd chance! Love the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I've never felted, but you make it look lovely.

    ReplyDelete