Thursday, April 29, 2010

My new skill is very old one actually




There is another one skill which doesn't fit in one blogpost with previous one.
I enjoy doing something different. If everybody makes jewerly I will not make it. If everybody knits socks I will buy mine in a supermarket. I want to do something exotic. And I also like to enter into the spirit of past. Once I got to know about sprang - very old (coming from bronze age) and almost forgotten technique. The idea of that is braiding the piece from both ends towards middle. This site explains the spranging basics.

I watched all videos and the technique seemed not to be too difficult. Actually I decided that I should sprang a jacket or at least a tunic. But unfortunately there is a special frame needed for serious spranging. My husband promissed to make me one but that will not happen immediately because he also needs inspiration. So - while my special sprang tool is still expecting to be made I have to braid something little bit smaller at first. I decided to make a hair band.
Well... I wish I should chosen a bookmark better (the length of garnment is determined in the beginning). There is some mess with edge yarns and that leads to mistakes. Should I wear a faulty hair bandage?



Even if you cannot sight any errors (of course you cannot - it looks like there isn't anything correct at all) in this picture you can believe me that there are a lot of them. But I haven't given up the idea about tunic.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I've never heard of that technique before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this before. Thanks for the information and link

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting - and your band is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of that skill before, but very interesting :)

    ReplyDelete